Kael Cockcroft, MA (ClinPsych), CPsychol, AFBPsS
Chartered Clinical Psychologist and Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society
Tel: 0203 907 7741
Kael is a skilled and experienced Psychologist and Psychotherapist with a track record of delivering high-quality therapy for individuals, couples, families and groups. His professional experience includes the treatment of a range of psychological and emotional difficulties: depression, anxiety, substance misuse, emotional distress, relationship difficulties as well as psychosis and personality disorders.
He uses a dynamic, consultative approach to shape a therapeutic understanding and treatment direction that is personalised to your needs. In addition to the core training in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Kael is trained in several specialist therapeutic approaches such as Mentalization (MBT), Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Schema Focused Therapy (SFT), mindfulness-based approaches and systemic family therapy. These are effective treatment methods for supporting struggles, Coaching adds a personal growth dimension that can truly enhance a development process.
Areas of Specialisation:
- Personality Difficulties: In particular: Borderline Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Dependent Personality Disorder
- Gifted Adults: Social integration, career development, work efficiency
- Creativity: Finding your voice, finding your process, finding your muse
- Gender and Sexuality: Difficulties arising from gender/sexual identity or expression
- Treatment-Resistant Depression: Depression that needs multiple layers of intervention
- Complex Anxiety Disorders: Complex/Developmental PTSD
- Chartered Clinical Psychologist (CPsychol)
- The British Psychological Society (BPS) Registration: 407587
- Associate Fellow (AFBPsS)
- The British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Registered Practitioner Psychologist
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) Registration: PYL26327
- Registered Supervisor
- The Register of Applied Psychology Practice Supervisors (RAPPS) – BPS
- Affiliate Member
- American Psychological Association (APA): 11207336
BPS: Division of Clinical Psychology (DCP)
- BPS (DCP): Psychosis & Complex Mental Health Faculty
- BPS (DCP): Leadership and Management Faculty
- BPS (DCP): Holistic Faculty
- BPS (DCP): Faculty of Addictions
- BPS (DCP): Faculty for Eating Disorder
BPS: Psychotherapy Section
BPS: Special Group in Coaching Psychology
BPS: Transpersonal Psychology Section
- I started therapy with Kael nervously due to experiences I’d had in therapy previously. He was able to ease me into the process at the right pace for me. I felt very safe in sessions even when working through my most challenging issues and emotions. Kael is very experienced and knowledgeable, able to provide insight from psychological theory, practical suggestions, emotional support and well-judged challenge. He guided me towards new ways of understanding of my experiences, fresh perspectives to consider and a toolbox of strategies to use. He was always open to discussing the process itself and receptive to feedback. I’ve had a very rich and rewarding therapy experience.20/04/2023
Working with Kael was really wonderful. I felt very supported and helped by our work together. As a twice exceptional man with pretty intense childhood and early life trauma and felt I was able to open up more and more over time and work through different aspects with Kael at my own pace. I honestly wish I could have seen him more often. Having tried for a long time to find the right support, I feel really good knowing I could reach out to him again if I felt I needed that again. He was kind, patient, and warm, and I felt safe talking to him, and I haven't felt that way with other therapist before.
He provided me with fantastic support during a very difficult time in my life. I always appreciated his perspective and he knew the subject matter much better than most.
I have worked with Kael at various stages over many years when I needed to overcome or understand many issues or obstacles I was struggling with. Whether meeting face to face or telephone appointments, he has always been able to successfully get me unstuck and move me forward in ways I would never have imagined. Very professional and highly recommended.
I am an artist who suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder, which can be frighteningly complex for many therapists to deal with. Previous experiences with humanist person-centered counsellors had found me going round in circles. I came upon Kael as I was looking for someone with more expertise with my condition and an understanding of how the functional life of an artist/creative can be radically different from other people’s and thus requires a specific kind of counsellor who understands this. My time with Kael has been really transformative. From the first time I spoke with him he was making such accurate predictions of my behaviour I immediately understood that this is someone with a great depth of knowledge and experience working with artists and creatives. His methods draw from various schools, he is especially adept at knowing when to step in with a strong point that can resonate with you at exactly the right moment, something i found more general humanist counsellors lacked. I am happy to highly recommend him as a counsellor, especially for those working in creative fields.
I appreciated Kael's support and guidance, and particularly him taking the time to walk me through explanations of the theory behind what I was going through. I felt able to be vulnerable, but also responsible for my own growth and emotions.
He is very sharp and knowledgeable in how to deal with gifted patients. He was of great help in sorting out a number of work, family and relationship issues.
Kael has enabled me to find myself and to become the person I could always be from the muddled, angry and frightened person I was. Two years ago my relationships were fraught and tense. My family supported me but none of us knew why, nor how much longer it could last. Kael’s empathy, insights and understanding and his skill in recognising and determining the essence of my fears, my sadness and myself, have meant that through kindness, open-mindedness and with wisdom and clarity, he has allowed me to explore and understand those fears. So much so that together, I and my family, and my friends are all of us now taking pleasure in my journey. I am in my 60’s and it is the psychotherapeutic time with Kael that has enabled me at last, to regard myself with kindness and understanding. I no longer fear life, I no longer wake frightened by the thought of the day ahead, of who I am or who I may have hurt with unkind and cruel words. Kael is a Chartered Clinical Psychologist skilled in Pyscho-dynamic Psychotherapy and coaching. He is skilled in and works in the specialist approaches of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Mindfulness Approaches, Mentalization Based Therapy and Schema Focussed Therapy. Kael also saves and enriches lives.
I worked with Kael as part of his mental health team within a mental health hospital. Kael has a robust knowledge-base which he uses with great consideration and thought for his clients. He was an inspiring clinician, and I would have the utmost trust in his ability to facilitate others in their journey towards change and growth.
Kael Cockcroft had been my mental health team colleague for several years. I value his professional approach, reliability, perceptiveness and capacity to think. I could always trust his clinical opinion. I saw closely huge number of clients improving in his systematic care. I have no doubt referring him new clients again. Dr David H, Consultant Psychiatrist and Psychotherapist
Kael Cockcroft is an outstanding Clinical Psychologist who I had the pleasure working with. He was my supervisor for my Assistant Psychologist role. Very professional and has a lot of experience in the field of psychology. I observed his work and he is outstanding with service users. He appears to also build good rapport with the service users he works with and I have evidenced service users benefiting from having contact with Kael Cockcroft. He is also a great colleague and someone nice to know. I would definitely recommend!
Kael Cockcroft is an outstanding Clinical Psychologist who I had the pleasure working with. He was my supervisor for my Assistant Psychologist role. Very professional and has a lot of experience in the field of psychology. I observed his work and he is outstanding with service users. He appears to also build good rapports with the service users he works with and I have evidenced service users benefiting from having contact with Kael Cockcroft. He is also a great colleague and someone nice to know. Would definitely recommend!